Clonakilty Mayoral Council honours local heroes
PHOTO: Front row: At the recent Clonakilty Mayoral Council Reception organised to honour local heroes were Honourees:
Front: Richard Forristal; Kate Kirby; Shane Enright, (representing his mother Karen McDermott who was unavoidably absent); Mayor Anthony McDermott; Ciara Ryan and Mícheál O’ Regan.
Back: Dr. Jason van der Velde; Mayoral Council members John Loughnan; Colette Twomey and Cionnaith Ó Súilleabháin; Christopher O’ Sullivan, representing Clonakilty Chamber of Commerce, (sponsor) and Sinéad Crowley.
(Photo: Anthony Brennan).
Clonakilty Mayor Anthony McDermott and his colleagues on the Clonakilty Mayoral Council honoured seven locals for their voluntary work, fundraising, sporting achievements and journalistic professionalism at a pleasant Mayoral Reception held at O’ Donovan’s Hotel Friday evening 14th October last.
Having welcomed all, Mayor Anthony McDermott explained that in the absence of a town council the Mayoral Council as a body was glad to organise events such this to salute local heroes.
Each honouree was presented with a scroll, with a personalised citation outlining why they were being honoured, as well as an inscribed glass bowl which was sponsored by the Clonakilty Chamber of Commerce.
The presentations were made by the four Mayors present to the seven recipients.
Over 30 guests of the honourees were also present to witness the awards being bestowed on their family members.
The seven honourees were:
(1) Karen McDermott, who represented Ireland in the European Heart and Lung Transplant Championships held in Finland in July 2016 and won Silver and Bronze Medals in Badminton.
(2) Ciara Ryan, Cork Ladies Football Minor Team member which won the 2016 All-Ireland (3) Dr. Jason van der Velde, Volunteer Doctor with West Cork Rapid Response, and the award also recognised the sacrifices made by his wife Kristen and family.
(4) Kate Kirby, for her contribution to the success of Annalise Murphy who achieved a Silver Medal in Sailing representing Ireland at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
(5) Sinéad Crowley, Community Activist and Fundraiser.
(6) Mícheál O’ Regan Charity Fundraiser.
(7) Richard Forristal, recently-appointed Irish Editor of “The Racing Post” and for his previous career as a Horse Racing journalist at “The Irish Independent”.
At the end of each citation were the words:-
"Clonakilty is proud of you" and they were signed by the Mayor.
As well as Mayor Anthony McDermott, his fellow Mayoral Council colleagues present - John Loughnan, (Deputy Mayor), Colette Twomey and Cionnaith Ó Súilleabháin, made the presentations to the seven honourees, and also saluted them as they embodied the spirit of volunteerism and community in Clonakilty. (The fifth member of Clonakilty Mayoral Council, Gretta O' Donovan, was unavoidably absent on the night).
Also present was Christopher O’ Sullivan Chairperson Clonakilty Chamber of Commerce and Dena O’ Donovan of O' Donovan's Hotel, who were sponsors of the evening.
Following the formalities O' Donovan's Hotel provided some wonderful finger food and tea and coffee.